Monday, April 21, 2003

Life is precious.

Friday, my very dear friend Kay was in a car accident. Ejected from her car, she landed in the middle of the road and was lifelined to a Fort Wayne hospital. Today, she talks, she's in physical therapy, her short term memory returns little by little. A rod in her femur, pins in her ankle, mild to moderate head trauma, and she recovers a little more each of the past three days. Can you believe it? It's resurrection. It's Easter.

So I sit here, teary-eyed, thankful for a friend who is tough and determined to heal. I sit here and lament over the fact that work keeps me from her side, that I can't drop everything and sit in that hospital room with her. That I'm not cleaning her house in anticipation of her return. I think about what it might mean to work less, to have more time to be available to people as my other dear friend Rachel is. Maybe a layoff isn't such a bad thing. Maybe it's ok not to live a crazy life. Maybe the money's not worth the things given up when one works full time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home