Henri Nouwen writes:
"At the Last Supper, Jesus takes the bread, blesses it, breaks it, and gives it to his disciples. (Luke 22) Whether or not we have participated in this ritual, we can imagine a priest administering the formal ritual and ourselves as participants. Henri takes another perspective. We are the bread. We are taken: we are chosen as the Beloved sons and Beloved daughters of God. We are blessed: Divine favor is bestowed upon us. We are broken: we acknowledge that we are imperfect, vulnerable human beings, which allows us to connect with others in meaningful ways. We are given: our destiny is to be servants to the world, to make the Beloved Community a reality on Earth. We express our gratitude through our service. We give our lives because of our brokenness. Our brokenness is a blessing that has enabled us to connect with and serve others. This blessing was bestowed upon us because we are the Chosen Beloved Sons and Daughters of God."
This leads to my Lenten reflection:
Thank God I'm broken.
I never thought I would say that.
"At the Last Supper, Jesus takes the bread, blesses it, breaks it, and gives it to his disciples. (Luke 22) Whether or not we have participated in this ritual, we can imagine a priest administering the formal ritual and ourselves as participants. Henri takes another perspective. We are the bread. We are taken: we are chosen as the Beloved sons and Beloved daughters of God. We are blessed: Divine favor is bestowed upon us. We are broken: we acknowledge that we are imperfect, vulnerable human beings, which allows us to connect with others in meaningful ways. We are given: our destiny is to be servants to the world, to make the Beloved Community a reality on Earth. We express our gratitude through our service. We give our lives because of our brokenness. Our brokenness is a blessing that has enabled us to connect with and serve others. This blessing was bestowed upon us because we are the Chosen Beloved Sons and Daughters of God."
This leads to my Lenten reflection:
Thank God I'm broken.
I never thought I would say that.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home