Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Either the endorphins are kicking in or I truly am learning to shed anxiety.

They handed me my reduction in force letter today, making it official. I signed the acknowIedgement that I received it in person. No matter. All will be well. Though I will not teach in a public school classroom next year, life will go on, and I am at peace.

This past weekend I took a former student of mine to Taco Bell, just to talk. She told me of her life for two hours, this sixteen year old young woman. As she told me of her disappointments, her fears, and her family's failures, I began to dream.

What if our town had a place for adolescent girls to go, to hang out, learn to support each other and find their sense of self? What if it offered classes to them in jewelry making and hair wrapping, journaling and canoeing? What if down the road it had a drop-in child care center so they could babysit and learn parenting skills? What if it was a place where they could explore their options and goals? What if it gave them space to dream of a better life, and backed it up with skills to make these dreams happen? Could it happen here in my little town?

I called my friend Angie and shared my ideas. She told of a stack of calls for grant proposals sitting on her desk. Proposals that could make this happen. Next week we meet. Let's do it, she said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home