Animal Dreams
My son was looking for a Christmas present for me. I took him here and there around Borders, pointing out this and that. Finally I stopped at the Kingsolver shelf. See that book? It's my very favorite book in the world and I've never had it for my own. A week later, I found it under the tree. This morning I finished it. I'm still catching my breath.
The web of love spun through that book stuns me. The first time I read it, a novel about love, loss, social justice and Codi's search for herself, her place, I felt I'd found myself. I realized I wasn't alone. There were voices in the greater world that cared for the same things I did. It was one of those things I hold dear--something that reminds me of who I am. And the subtheme--Hallie's work in Nicaragua, could be true today. Only the country would be Columbia, where paramilitaries patrol, terrorizing the countryside.
There are four days left of winter break. The year has turned; my old life picks up where it left off on Monday. I'm trying to tuck away the gifts of this season: time for thinking, lessons learned from the books I've read, the time I've spent with my closest friends new and old, wonder at my kids now that I've had two weeks of sitting around, relaxed, with them, and always the amazement I feel when I take the time to realize that I've been in love with my husband for twenty two years.
Happy new year.
My son was looking for a Christmas present for me. I took him here and there around Borders, pointing out this and that. Finally I stopped at the Kingsolver shelf. See that book? It's my very favorite book in the world and I've never had it for my own. A week later, I found it under the tree. This morning I finished it. I'm still catching my breath.
The web of love spun through that book stuns me. The first time I read it, a novel about love, loss, social justice and Codi's search for herself, her place, I felt I'd found myself. I realized I wasn't alone. There were voices in the greater world that cared for the same things I did. It was one of those things I hold dear--something that reminds me of who I am. And the subtheme--Hallie's work in Nicaragua, could be true today. Only the country would be Columbia, where paramilitaries patrol, terrorizing the countryside.
There are four days left of winter break. The year has turned; my old life picks up where it left off on Monday. I'm trying to tuck away the gifts of this season: time for thinking, lessons learned from the books I've read, the time I've spent with my closest friends new and old, wonder at my kids now that I've had two weeks of sitting around, relaxed, with them, and always the amazement I feel when I take the time to realize that I've been in love with my husband for twenty two years.
Happy new year.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home