Sunday, July 24, 2005

I love coming home to a clean house. Then, of course, we unload the car and throw everything on the living room floor to be sorted. We're pretty much back in order again.

Campobello Island was beautiful. And temperate. Low 80's during the day, no humidity I could detect beyond the salty ocean breezes, and 50's/60's at night. We were in this little farmhouse on a bluff overlooking the bay. We saw porpoises in the bay from our back yard. A day in Shediac on the Northumbrian Coast (so like North Carolina, warm water, sand beaches, way up in Canada, honest.) At the beginning, a day spent walking around the city of Quebec--so European, and a day in Bar Harbor at the end, sooooo American.

So we took day trips, and stayed home on the foggy days, and read everything we brought with us. Ms. K. had the new Harry Potter book nailed in eight hours the first day it was out. She and I exchanged books we wanted each other to read--very bonding. My boy, he just wanted to climb the cliffs, high tide or low. Greg, well, he had to work a couple hours some of the days, which was very sad, but to be expected. Me--lots of time in the sun. And all of us listened to books on tape during the long commutes between this destination or that. Have you read The Golden Compass? You should.

The kids wanted us to drive home through the night last night--no more camping! And we did, all 25 hours, leaving at 6 am Saturday and pulling in the drive at 7:01 a.m. today. Greg bears the brunt of these grueling drives--I just relieve him here and there for 90-120 minutes while he naps. Now I'm baking 10 dozen cookies for band camp, where is my brain, and I'm so crabby I just sent everyone out of th kitchen. Time to sleeeeppppppp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home