I am so in uncharted territory when it comes to mothering a teen. Where are those boundaries, dammit? Mother? Friend? Ally? Advocate? The disciplinary thing I have down for now (because my child does have boundaries there. This minute anyway.). I find myself longing to talk to my mother. How did she do this? I have to say she had her own challenges with us, and found them very hard to rise to. (Witness me, sixteen, failing grades, no consequences. Or when I passed out drunk right in front of my dad's face that same year. Very light sentence for that one.) And she and I certainly had some of the same boundary issues I'm running into right now. But I'll tell you, there is one gift she gave me that totally shapes who I am today and is probably the reason why I do what I do--she listened. Unconditionally. I was in her bedroom every night telling her about my day. I wanted to be there. Her love and her gift of listening, they tethered me. By the time I was nineteen I had sowed my wild oats and was ready to settle down and do well in college. I'd love to hear her perspective on all of this.
Friday, June 24, 2005
Previous Posts
- For two weeks now, there have only been 2 women at...
- For the first Tuesday in 8 weeks, I'm not travelin...
- "Love the animals, love the plants, love everythin...
- Not much to report--just the day to dayness. The ...
- Last night, a mediation between in-laws. Yet anot...
- Today was the sweetest day. The seventh and final...
- I have a few things to say:To my hard drive--rest ...
- This morning I dreamed a dream so vivid, it burned...
- Life is good, but odd. Greg is camping solo in Ca...
- Last night, Lynne and I grabbed some carryout (me)...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home