Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Did I say no fog in that last post? Fog drove my life the last two days. Monday night, flights cancelled one after the other from Detroit to Indiana due to well, you know. I slept under, yes, under airport benches in the glare of the big lights on Concourse C in the Detroit Metro airport. This was a humbling experience, let me tell you. (Oh and I have to say that my sister offered to pick me up for the night, but by the time the flights actually cancelled, I didn't want to bother her.) I found myself gathering little discarded pillows left by all the smart people who decided to spring money for hotel rooms. Then I cocooned them, and with my tiny leather jacket, I curled up under the bench. It was freezing. I slept during the quietest time in the terminal, 3 am to 5 am. Then the maintenance people, who never really left, felt free to yell comments to each other across the expanse of this huge room, and voila, I was up. Tuesday, an early flight to my hometown, then a rental car to drive the 70 miles to home. Then I slept. Today, I'm just barely catching up on work. Guests for the weekend, a conference and a workshop. I'm spinning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home