The speech. Word for word. I'm giving it today at 1:30 to Church Women United.
Social Justice and Women
First of all, I would like to thank you for being here today, and for inviting me to speak. It is good to be among those who believe in the importance of social justice in the world.I’d also like to thank Dottie for inviting me here today.
I would like to speak to you about women in our county and some of the challenges a specific population of women faces. My hope is that awareness will be raised as a result of this presentation.
Social justice and women. There is so much to say! Sometimes I think we start by opening our eyes. Reality can be surprising. Here in the United States, women are making gains in education and in the workforce, but there is a long way to go. Here are some statistics for you:
Gender Equality
A woman make $.77 for every dollar a man makes (Census Bureau)Education85% of women in the US earned high school diplomas in 2003. Men stand at 84%. 26% of women received college degrees up by 7% over the previous year. (29% men.) (Census Bureau)
Poverty
In 2001, 12.9 percent of the female population lived below the poverty level. (Census Bureau)
In 2001, 26.4 percent of female-headed families were poor., while 13.1 percent of male-headed families and 4.9 percent of married-couple households lived in poverty.
In 2001, 11.7 million children, or 16.3 percent, were poor. Children under the age of 6 are particularly vulnerable to poverty, especially if they live with a single mother or female relative. Just under half of all children younger than age 6 who lived in female-headed families were poor. (National Poverty Center)
Infant Mortality Rate
U.S. ranks 35th in the world at 6.75 deaths per 1,000 live births. Countries ranking better than the U.S. include Sweden, Ireland, Taiwan, New Zealand, France, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Canada. (CIA Factbook and U.S. Dept. of State.)
Health Insurance
Overall, 14 percent of women ages 18 and over are uninsured. One in five women of child-bearing age nationwide is uninsured.Poor women are four times more likely than non-poor women to lack health insurance (National Council of Women’s organizations)
Family Leave
Although 80% of adults in the U.S. support paid family leave for parents, the U.S. is only one of two industrialized countries that fails to provide any kind of paid family leave for its workforce.
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), allows covered employees 12 weeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for the birth and care of a newborn child, a newly adopted or foster child, or treatment of a serious family health condition.
But the Family and Medical Leave Act is not available to all U.S. workers. Fewer than half of the nation’s private-sector employees are covered. These workers are ineligible because they haven’t worked for current employers for at least one year and at least 1,250 hours during the prior year or because they work for businesses with fewer than 50 employees. …[these] exclusions disproportionately affect low-wage workers, part-time workers, and women leaving welfare for work.
Meanwhile, the United Kingdom guarantees employees 18 weeks of leave with some pay and an additional 13 weeks of unpaid leave. Finland, France, Germany, and Norway all offer paid leave for the first three years of a child’s life. (http://www.futureofchildren.org/usr_doc/foc11-1g6.pdf, The Future of Children Report)(also National Council of Women's organizations)
Childcare
…in one study of welfare recipients, 60 percent reported that unavailability of child care kept them from participating in work programs. (National Council of women’s organizations)
Violence against women
MURDER . Every day four women die in this country as a result of domestic violence.
BATTERING . Half a million incidents of battering by intimate partners are officially reported to federal officials each year. However, the most conservative estimates indicate two to four million women of all races and classes are battered each year.
SEXUAL ASSAULT . Every year approximately 132,000 women report that they have been victims of rape or attempted rape, and more than half of them knew their attackers. It's estimated that two to six times that many women are raped, but do not report it.
THE TARGETS . Women are 10 times more likely than men to be victimized by an someone they know well. Young women, women who are separated, divorced or single, low- income women and African-American women are disproportionately victims of assault and rape. Domestic violence rates are five times higher among families below poverty levels. (National Organization of Women)
This is just a snapshot of the challenges women in America, particularly women in poverty face. But the group I wish to tell you about, the group with whom I volunteer face massive challenges. These are the women in the county jail. Before I speak of them, I’d like to give you some background on the incarceration rate among women. This information comes from the Indiana Department of corrections.
"In Indiana, the female population has increased 480% over the last 20 years. It has increased 56% over the last 5 years. It is the fastest growing segment of the offender population, consistent with national trends. Factors that contributed to the those increases:· A majority of Indiana’s offenders are in an “at risk” group, whether due to educational, occupational, socioeconomic, or other social or structural factors.
Fewer court -ordered sentence modifications are granted.
Continued substance abuse by convicted felons.
Harsher criminal sanctions and a “get tough” on crime attitude.
More effective law enforcement."
And here’s an analysis from the Women’s Prison Association in New York:
“The growth of the female prison population corresponds directly to the mandatory minimumsentencing laws in effect since the early 1970s. Since more women are convicted fornon-violent, drug-related crimes than for any o t h e r, these sentencing policies have had aparticularly profound effect on women. Te n years after mandatory sentences for drugoffenses were enacted, the number of women sentenced to state prisons has increased tenfold.
The majority of women in prisons are mothers. Because women typically are the primary caretakers of children, the increase in female incarceration has significant consequences for children, families and neighborhoods. Once incarcerated, a woman is at increased risk oflosing her children to the foster care system, and possibly even of having her parental rightsterminated. However, this usually does not translate into greater stability and well-beingfor the children… Children of prisoners are at great risk of instability, trauma and interrupteddevelopment.. The dramatic increase in female incarcerationmeans that the demands on the corrections system have far outpaced its ability to providenecessary supportive services for women."
Today, I want to talk about some women I work with, here in the county jail. I volunteer each week to run a jewelry-making program. On Wednesday mornings, I bring 2 canvas tote bags filled with 6 Rubbermaid boxes of beads. For an hour and a half, 6-9 women are released from their cells and make professional quality costume jewelry for themselves and their relatives. The benefits of the program are many; it is a stress reliever. The women live in close quarters in the jail and the class offers them the opportunity to leave their cell. It allows them to express creativity. It allows them to develop a sense of accomplishment when they finish projects. It motivates the women to behave well so that they can come to bead class. Finally, it provides a link to their loved ones. They often make jewelry for their children, husbands, and mothers.
The women I work with live in poverty. Most of them spend time in the jail before they are sentenced because their families can’t come up with the money to bond them out. Much of the time they don’t tell me why they are there, and I don’t ask. Last week, as I sat with the women I did an informal survey to prepare for my talk today. How many of you are here for drug-related crimes? All hands went up save one. She was in for public intoxication. The rest were arrested for either dealing or using.
Most of the women I work with are young, most late teens to early thirties. Most have been in more than once. Almost all have a high school diploma or GED. Some have some college. At one point last year, a member of my bead class was a registered nurse. Some live in our county, but not all. Since mid-November, I’ve had a mother and daughter at bead class together, and two sets of sisters. I conclude from this that the problems that draw the women to jail are systemic. It seems as though at least half the women on any given week are mothers. Their children are either being cared for by their mothers, or by the children’s fathers.
Now I have to say that these women made the choices that brought them to the jail. They are responsible for their own behavior. But their world is so far removed from my middle class world, that I do not judge them. As a matter of fact, I look at them and think, “there but for the grace of God go I.” What if I had been born into completely different circumstances, a completely different family? As the Indiana Correctional System web page points out, the majority of female inmates are an “at risk” group.” Their support systems are inadequate and always have been. Alcoholic parents, poverty, significant others who won’t wait for them, visit them, or support them are not uncommon things.
What are these women’s goals? I’ll quote them. “To get back on my feet.” “To find a good job.” “To be a good mom, stay out of jail, live life right, stay off drugs.” “Live a life without drugs.”
What would justice look like to them? Opportunities. Parenting classes. Substance abuse classes. Some actually speak wistfully of their time spent in the state prison system when they could earn college credit or work. They caution me about life in jail. One says, “I learned more about drugs here than I learned out on the street.” They feel powerless in the face of harsh penalties beyond their incarceration time. Those convicted of drug felonies will never be allowed to apply for federal financial aid for college. “How can we have a better chance if we can’t get aid for college?” they ask. Other felony crimes do not come under this ban from financial aid. Indiana’s Mark Souder, who authored the bill banning convicted drug felons from financial aid stated in a New York Times article, “that the law went way too far. He claimed he never meant it to be so mean-spirited. He simply wanted to discourage students from experimenting with drugs. Souder now says that students who are denied federal financial aid for crimes committed before college should sue the government.” (The Rake, April 2004)
When I press them for what justice would look like in their lives outside of jail, they’re hard pressed to come up with answers. But I have some. I’d like to start with the statistics I gave you at the beginning of this talk. I see justice as making sure women have the same earning power as men. as supporting women in school, working to eliminate poverty, finding some way to subsidize health insurance so that all women are covered. I see justice as access to paid family leave so that mothers can give their children a good start in life, provisions for decent child care in communities, rolling back the federal ban on financial aid to convicted drug felons. I see justice as reducing domestic violence by mandating substantive parenting and relationship classes in high school, educating boys to respect women, and offering rehabilitation to offenders of the law in the form of greater educational opportunities and social services.
In the words of the Women Prison Association,“Incarceration does not solve the problems associated with drug use and trafficking inpoor communities. Instead, treatment, social service provision and increased economicopportunity are needed in areas ravaged by the loss of an economic base, service cuts, andsocial and political disenfranchisement. Preventive education and treatment are farmore cost effective than arrest and imprisonment. In Arizona taxpayers saved 2.6 milliondollars in the first year after legislation passed mandating drug treatment instead ofprison for non-violent drug offenders.”
Finally, what about us? What are the steps we can take to ensure social justice for women? I hope we’ve taken the first step here. Michael Angier, in his article, “Top Ten Steps to Think About if You Want to Change the World” states, “The genesis for change is awareness. We cannot change what we don’t acknowledge. Most of the time, we aren’t aware of what’s wrong or what’s not working. We don’t see what could be. By becoming more aware, we begin the process of change.” I wish you well on your journey and the blessings of our Creator, as you work toward change.
Social Justice and Women
First of all, I would like to thank you for being here today, and for inviting me to speak. It is good to be among those who believe in the importance of social justice in the world.I’d also like to thank Dottie for inviting me here today.
I would like to speak to you about women in our county and some of the challenges a specific population of women faces. My hope is that awareness will be raised as a result of this presentation.
Social justice and women. There is so much to say! Sometimes I think we start by opening our eyes. Reality can be surprising. Here in the United States, women are making gains in education and in the workforce, but there is a long way to go. Here are some statistics for you:
Gender Equality
A woman make $.77 for every dollar a man makes (Census Bureau)Education85% of women in the US earned high school diplomas in 2003. Men stand at 84%. 26% of women received college degrees up by 7% over the previous year. (29% men.) (Census Bureau)
Poverty
In 2001, 12.9 percent of the female population lived below the poverty level. (Census Bureau)
In 2001, 26.4 percent of female-headed families were poor., while 13.1 percent of male-headed families and 4.9 percent of married-couple households lived in poverty.
In 2001, 11.7 million children, or 16.3 percent, were poor. Children under the age of 6 are particularly vulnerable to poverty, especially if they live with a single mother or female relative. Just under half of all children younger than age 6 who lived in female-headed families were poor. (National Poverty Center)
Infant Mortality Rate
U.S. ranks 35th in the world at 6.75 deaths per 1,000 live births. Countries ranking better than the U.S. include Sweden, Ireland, Taiwan, New Zealand, France, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Canada. (CIA Factbook and U.S. Dept. of State.)
Health Insurance
Overall, 14 percent of women ages 18 and over are uninsured. One in five women of child-bearing age nationwide is uninsured.Poor women are four times more likely than non-poor women to lack health insurance (National Council of Women’s organizations)
Family Leave
Although 80% of adults in the U.S. support paid family leave for parents, the U.S. is only one of two industrialized countries that fails to provide any kind of paid family leave for its workforce.
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), allows covered employees 12 weeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for the birth and care of a newborn child, a newly adopted or foster child, or treatment of a serious family health condition.
But the Family and Medical Leave Act is not available to all U.S. workers. Fewer than half of the nation’s private-sector employees are covered. These workers are ineligible because they haven’t worked for current employers for at least one year and at least 1,250 hours during the prior year or because they work for businesses with fewer than 50 employees. …[these] exclusions disproportionately affect low-wage workers, part-time workers, and women leaving welfare for work.
Meanwhile, the United Kingdom guarantees employees 18 weeks of leave with some pay and an additional 13 weeks of unpaid leave. Finland, France, Germany, and Norway all offer paid leave for the first three years of a child’s life. (http://www.futureofchildren.org/usr_doc/foc11-1g6.pdf, The Future of Children Report)(also National Council of Women's organizations)
Childcare
…in one study of welfare recipients, 60 percent reported that unavailability of child care kept them from participating in work programs. (National Council of women’s organizations)
Violence against women
MURDER . Every day four women die in this country as a result of domestic violence.
BATTERING . Half a million incidents of battering by intimate partners are officially reported to federal officials each year. However, the most conservative estimates indicate two to four million women of all races and classes are battered each year.
SEXUAL ASSAULT . Every year approximately 132,000 women report that they have been victims of rape or attempted rape, and more than half of them knew their attackers. It's estimated that two to six times that many women are raped, but do not report it.
THE TARGETS . Women are 10 times more likely than men to be victimized by an someone they know well. Young women, women who are separated, divorced or single, low- income women and African-American women are disproportionately victims of assault and rape. Domestic violence rates are five times higher among families below poverty levels. (National Organization of Women)
This is just a snapshot of the challenges women in America, particularly women in poverty face. But the group I wish to tell you about, the group with whom I volunteer face massive challenges. These are the women in the county jail. Before I speak of them, I’d like to give you some background on the incarceration rate among women. This information comes from the Indiana Department of corrections.
"In Indiana, the female population has increased 480% over the last 20 years. It has increased 56% over the last 5 years. It is the fastest growing segment of the offender population, consistent with national trends. Factors that contributed to the those increases:· A majority of Indiana’s offenders are in an “at risk” group, whether due to educational, occupational, socioeconomic, or other social or structural factors.
Fewer court -ordered sentence modifications are granted.
Continued substance abuse by convicted felons.
Harsher criminal sanctions and a “get tough” on crime attitude.
More effective law enforcement."
And here’s an analysis from the Women’s Prison Association in New York:
“The growth of the female prison population corresponds directly to the mandatory minimumsentencing laws in effect since the early 1970s. Since more women are convicted fornon-violent, drug-related crimes than for any o t h e r, these sentencing policies have had aparticularly profound effect on women. Te n years after mandatory sentences for drugoffenses were enacted, the number of women sentenced to state prisons has increased tenfold.
The majority of women in prisons are mothers. Because women typically are the primary caretakers of children, the increase in female incarceration has significant consequences for children, families and neighborhoods. Once incarcerated, a woman is at increased risk oflosing her children to the foster care system, and possibly even of having her parental rightsterminated. However, this usually does not translate into greater stability and well-beingfor the children… Children of prisoners are at great risk of instability, trauma and interrupteddevelopment.. The dramatic increase in female incarcerationmeans that the demands on the corrections system have far outpaced its ability to providenecessary supportive services for women."
Today, I want to talk about some women I work with, here in the county jail. I volunteer each week to run a jewelry-making program. On Wednesday mornings, I bring 2 canvas tote bags filled with 6 Rubbermaid boxes of beads. For an hour and a half, 6-9 women are released from their cells and make professional quality costume jewelry for themselves and their relatives. The benefits of the program are many; it is a stress reliever. The women live in close quarters in the jail and the class offers them the opportunity to leave their cell. It allows them to express creativity. It allows them to develop a sense of accomplishment when they finish projects. It motivates the women to behave well so that they can come to bead class. Finally, it provides a link to their loved ones. They often make jewelry for their children, husbands, and mothers.
The women I work with live in poverty. Most of them spend time in the jail before they are sentenced because their families can’t come up with the money to bond them out. Much of the time they don’t tell me why they are there, and I don’t ask. Last week, as I sat with the women I did an informal survey to prepare for my talk today. How many of you are here for drug-related crimes? All hands went up save one. She was in for public intoxication. The rest were arrested for either dealing or using.
Most of the women I work with are young, most late teens to early thirties. Most have been in more than once. Almost all have a high school diploma or GED. Some have some college. At one point last year, a member of my bead class was a registered nurse. Some live in our county, but not all. Since mid-November, I’ve had a mother and daughter at bead class together, and two sets of sisters. I conclude from this that the problems that draw the women to jail are systemic. It seems as though at least half the women on any given week are mothers. Their children are either being cared for by their mothers, or by the children’s fathers.
Now I have to say that these women made the choices that brought them to the jail. They are responsible for their own behavior. But their world is so far removed from my middle class world, that I do not judge them. As a matter of fact, I look at them and think, “there but for the grace of God go I.” What if I had been born into completely different circumstances, a completely different family? As the Indiana Correctional System web page points out, the majority of female inmates are an “at risk” group.” Their support systems are inadequate and always have been. Alcoholic parents, poverty, significant others who won’t wait for them, visit them, or support them are not uncommon things.
What are these women’s goals? I’ll quote them. “To get back on my feet.” “To find a good job.” “To be a good mom, stay out of jail, live life right, stay off drugs.” “Live a life without drugs.”
What would justice look like to them? Opportunities. Parenting classes. Substance abuse classes. Some actually speak wistfully of their time spent in the state prison system when they could earn college credit or work. They caution me about life in jail. One says, “I learned more about drugs here than I learned out on the street.” They feel powerless in the face of harsh penalties beyond their incarceration time. Those convicted of drug felonies will never be allowed to apply for federal financial aid for college. “How can we have a better chance if we can’t get aid for college?” they ask. Other felony crimes do not come under this ban from financial aid. Indiana’s Mark Souder, who authored the bill banning convicted drug felons from financial aid stated in a New York Times article, “that the law went way too far. He claimed he never meant it to be so mean-spirited. He simply wanted to discourage students from experimenting with drugs. Souder now says that students who are denied federal financial aid for crimes committed before college should sue the government.” (The Rake, April 2004)
When I press them for what justice would look like in their lives outside of jail, they’re hard pressed to come up with answers. But I have some. I’d like to start with the statistics I gave you at the beginning of this talk. I see justice as making sure women have the same earning power as men. as supporting women in school, working to eliminate poverty, finding some way to subsidize health insurance so that all women are covered. I see justice as access to paid family leave so that mothers can give their children a good start in life, provisions for decent child care in communities, rolling back the federal ban on financial aid to convicted drug felons. I see justice as reducing domestic violence by mandating substantive parenting and relationship classes in high school, educating boys to respect women, and offering rehabilitation to offenders of the law in the form of greater educational opportunities and social services.
In the words of the Women Prison Association,“Incarceration does not solve the problems associated with drug use and trafficking inpoor communities. Instead, treatment, social service provision and increased economicopportunity are needed in areas ravaged by the loss of an economic base, service cuts, andsocial and political disenfranchisement. Preventive education and treatment are farmore cost effective than arrest and imprisonment. In Arizona taxpayers saved 2.6 milliondollars in the first year after legislation passed mandating drug treatment instead ofprison for non-violent drug offenders.”
Finally, what about us? What are the steps we can take to ensure social justice for women? I hope we’ve taken the first step here. Michael Angier, in his article, “Top Ten Steps to Think About if You Want to Change the World” states, “The genesis for change is awareness. We cannot change what we don’t acknowledge. Most of the time, we aren’t aware of what’s wrong or what’s not working. We don’t see what could be. By becoming more aware, we begin the process of change.” I wish you well on your journey and the blessings of our Creator, as you work toward change.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home