I've thought a lot recently about the women I work with in the county jail. Their days consist of sitting around, eating, sleeping through much of the day, staying up talking all night and watching television. I think of Keith on death row, spending years and years waiting for his case to go through the proper appeals channels. And I think about the terms correctional facility and department of corrections. Is it "correctional" to take away people's liberties, and do nothing to help them prepare for life after they get out? Just what good does it do anyone to sit around in a small cell for sixth months then set them free to face the same poverty and addictions they left behind? Is a probation officer enough of a support person to help someone start a new life? We're warehousing more people in the correctional system than ever before. Exactly where are the compassion and the tools to assist people in transforming their lives?
Monday, June 14, 2004
Previous Posts
- "The greatest challenge of the day is: how to brin...
- My eyes are opening to so many things that divide ...
- I have three minutes to blog today. That's it. T...
- "One of Meister Eckhart's many enigmatic sayings i...
- Does the blogger banner actually tout President Bu...
- This was the week where I finally got the call for...
- What if we all stood up for what we really believe...
- Memorial Day was sunshine and rain--a picnic with ...
- Went to see The Day After Tomorrow last night. Th...
- The days could not be more beautiful. Breezy, warm...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home