Sunday, May 30, 2004

Went to see The Day After Tomorrow last night. The action film with a message. Hello-o! Wake up America! Stop overconsuming those fossil fuels! Your time is short--global warming is here!

I wonder how it really will play out. I wonder why we're intent on not doing anything to alleviate the problem. I mean, what are some of the major issues threatening this country (aside from the military-industrial complex and its ability to suck up most of the resources that could be used on health, education, and human welfare)? Global warming and obesity. When I was little, there was an energy crisis. The government spent tons of money encouraging people to conserve. Turn off those lights. Carpool. Shouldn't the government be pouring tons of money into weaning us from oil dependence? Not only for global warming but so we don't have to rely on the Middle East? And aren't there technologies that rely on renewable energy that work? And when I was younger, there was an emphasis on physical fitness. It was a big deal to work for "The President's Physical Fitness Award." Why aren't we being encouraged to leave that tv behind, get off the couch and work out? Or maybe to ride our bikes, thus working to alleviate both problems?

Really, the only time I remember the president urging us to do anything aside from supporting our troops (and his dubious foreign policy), was when our country faced its biggest crisis ever on 9/11, and all he could do was encourage us to shop. What is with that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home