Thursday, May 05, 2005

A day taken off, spent lying in bed and in the sun, with nothing to do, no books to read (because I couldn't read them with my eyes burning in my head), does one a lot of good. So yesterday was about surrendering to a cold. Today it's back to work.

I have an article rolling around in my head. It's about North American Christians walking around with clenched fists. Fearful people, holding on, holding on to tradition, or to a certain path for following Christ, or wrapping those fingers hard around the Bible. Something about the harder one hangs on, resists change, sticks to the "one way", the more that person misses. If you walk around with clenched fists, you get what you hold onto, nothing more. An empty tradition, a one dimensional path, words without action. It's when you open your hands, you're able to receive. You're able to give. When I hear of churches in conflict, I hear about factions digging in. Closed minds, closed hands. So much energy goes into holding on, there's nothing left for opening to Spirit, for spreading the love, for using those hands to do the good work. Anyway, someday it'll be an article, but I'm not there yet. I leave it recorded here for a future time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home