The grass is deep by the river, very green, very lush. It isn't November grass by a long shot; this is the grass of July. Making my way down the overgrown path, I finally sit down in some gravel and collect flat stones. I'll skip them, a la Amelie, across the shallow water. When I was in college, I'd sit by the river entranced by the deepness, the coolness. Flowing to the Great Lakes, the St. Lawrence Seaway, ending in the greater sea. I felt my life in that river, rising in flood and ebbing at times, ever flowing to some great source. Now I look at a river and see a river. A beautiful conduit of water. But I don't feel it. Something has been lost.
Monday, November 03, 2003
Previous Posts
- I said to my soul, be still, and wait without hope...
- No place on earth I'd rather be... Last night Gre...
- Prayer was breath today, and emptiness, watching t...
- “I said to my soul, be still, and let the dark com...
- It's 40 degrees out under a steel sky. November, ...
- Let's say you are about to be consecrated as a dea...
- "How is one to live a moral and compassionate exis...
- Half-day at school. I'm giving oral math assessme...
- Random questions that have run through my mind lat...
- On Sunday, I went to hear Chris Hedges speak. He ...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home