Monday, August 12, 2002

The new life starts here. Today. Now.

I have one week to do the labor of thirty days. It is a daunting task, the readying of a classroom. I must shape the skeleton of a life I will lead with 27 children God is loaning me 6.5 hours a day for nine months this year. And so I'm pondering.

Everything I do, I can only do now, moment by moment. I cannot live in yesterdays or step into tomorrow. And the truth is, I don't know that I will be here anyway. Does this sound cliche to you? My apologies. But I know I have this instant, this second. So I've got to be present to it. Really, it is all I have, the omnipresent now. Eternity in the palm of my hand. Etty Hillesum wanted to experience the contours of her time. She spoke of wanting to run her fingers across these contours. To do it, she lived intensely in the present moment. Can one do such a thing? All I know is that I am compelled to give it my best shot. Right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home