I went to Kohl's today to do a little "retail therapy" as Anne LaMott puts it. In my case, I know I have a job so I thought I'd spend a little money to celebrate. On shoes. Kicky shoes. Maybe some fun shoes that would make me a little taller because I admire all you long-legged people out there. Instead, I found this wonderful pair of sandals I don't need that I've been drooling over all summer. So I tried them on. Checked them out in the mirror, turned around, modeled them for an audience of one (me), and they were good. Then I went through the guilt-tripping shopping routine that I usually go through (catholic,catholic,catholic) because I don't...need...sandals. I need something for fall. I'm embarrassed to say how many pairs of shoes I have. And I thought of Anne Lamott's story about when she went shopping with her dying friend, Pammy. Anne found a dress she loved, tried it on, and said to Pammy, "Do you think it makes my hips look too big?" Pammy quietly said, "Annie? I really don't think you have that kind of time."
I put the sandals back, went to Barnes and Noble and bought a Grace Paley book. After all, what's more important--how you look or how you take care of your spirit?
I put the sandals back, went to Barnes and Noble and bought a Grace Paley book. After all, what's more important--how you look or how you take care of your spirit?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home