Snow storm. So begins March.
Last night, driving home in the dark, I pondered on how divorced from nature we really are. The wind was howling, I was driving 45 on a long stretch of rural highway, slowing way down at every curve because I kept losing the path the cars before me had carved in the snow. When I flipped on the brights, I was in a whirling snow globe, a lonely little car crawling along a dark highway, with brave little lights beaming through the snow. And I was warm and comfortable. Later, at home in the driveway, I realized how cold and windy it really was. We're spoiled, we are. We push on, keep appointments, and nature rarely gets us down. (Unless, of course, we are fogbound in the Detroit Metro airport and sleep among the rows of chairs.) What an easy life.
"Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint."
~Robert Frost
Last night, driving home in the dark, I pondered on how divorced from nature we really are. The wind was howling, I was driving 45 on a long stretch of rural highway, slowing way down at every curve because I kept losing the path the cars before me had carved in the snow. When I flipped on the brights, I was in a whirling snow globe, a lonely little car crawling along a dark highway, with brave little lights beaming through the snow. And I was warm and comfortable. Later, at home in the driveway, I realized how cold and windy it really was. We're spoiled, we are. We push on, keep appointments, and nature rarely gets us down. (Unless, of course, we are fogbound in the Detroit Metro airport and sleep among the rows of chairs.) What an easy life.
"Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint."
~Robert Frost


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home