Thursday, February 24, 2005

Snapshots:
Last weekend, furiously cleaning house, making lunch for small group--fettucine alfredo--recipe thrown together in my head.

Monday, in Richmond, with an old colleague, cooking up an awesome workshop. Collegiality at it's best. Left the lights on the new car, it died, called a friend for a jump an hour later. When he arrived, the car miraculously started on its own. That hybrid! What a car! Made it home exactly on time 21/2 hours later.

Tuesday, a blur, lots of work and volunteering, hours in the day and evening on the phone. I can't even tell you who I talked to, but there were lots of them.

Wednesday, in the jail with the women. Flitting around, sitting quietly with a few and talking with them. Now that I have a partner in there, I can spend more time relating. At the end I tell the lifer (as she calls herself), "I'm going to my pastor today to talk about entering the ministry." She beams! I mean BEAMS!! She says, "I'm so glad!! Then you can come and talk to me about God because I'm having big problems with him and the chaplain around here has no time for me. As soon as you get it settled then, come back and we can talk!" I took it as a sign.

Hours later, I'm talking to my pastor. He's asking me questions, good ones, the ones I need to hear. He explains the path to ministry--it's usually one of two. A young adult, just out of college, says I think this is my path, I'm not sure, I just want to explore. A seasoned adult says, I'm feeling called, I'm ready for the change, this is what I want to do. I say, well I'm somewhere in between, seasoned, yet saying, I'm not sure, I want to explore this. He says, well I think you've answered your question then. And suddenly I feel this deep calm, like yes, this is it. And the calm stays with me for quite a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home