Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Slowly, balance is coming back. My desk is almost clean. My house, well....

If you love the sacred and despise the ordinary,
you are still bobbing in the ocean of delusion.
~ Lin-chi

So the ordinary today includes a toilet that overflowed, invoices to write, a phone call at work with a sweet offer to lighten my load, cherry walnut bread from The Mill, time to read the first of T.S. Eliot's The Four Quartets, a spring breeze through the window, too many toiletries crowding the bathroom sink, a talk with an old man, packing books to send various places, filing the last of the multiple folders on my desk, lentil soup for lunch, dusting my office space, answering emails, and later, driving my girl to various engagements. Will I see Greg at lunch? Can I really slow down and breathe whenever I need to today? Is it a miracle that my formerly standoffish kitty jumps on my chair to visit all day long? Will my boy be pounding his snare drum at 4? You and I both know it's about finding the sacred in the ordinary.

"Mindfulness is loving all the details of our lives, and awareness is the natural thing that happens: life begins to open up, and you realize that you're always standing at the center of the world."
~Pema Chodron

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home