Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I voted at 6:30 am. It was heartening to see the line which grew at such an early hour in such a small town. A big thank you to three people I'm connected to who are working the polls, as observers or hospitality. A candle is lit for all who participate, all who will be turned away, all who will be intimidated. Is this the United States?

I finished reading Naming the Spirits by Lawrence Thornton. It describes the end of Argentina's Dirty War in 1976. A vivid description of those who were disappeared, buried in a mass grave and who desperately (now as spirits) wanted someone to name them, to find their resting place, to let their relatives know what happened. It was good to read now, when we live in chaotic times, rife with corruption. No, the generals aren't running our country, killing those who speak out against the regime, but we have to treasure what we have, a democratic process, very vulnerable, but still intact. As for the corruption, let it be exposed. As for the vote, please let our democratic candidate win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home