Wednesday, September 22, 2004

A very tired day--up at 3:25, drive to the airport at 4, board at 6, 3 hour layover in Cincinnati, BWI at 12:30. Maryland, my Maryland, beautiful as always, a deep dusty green covering those undulating hills.

These days, the moment the plane lifts off I smile--Free from earthbound gravity, or so it seems. Then I smile again at touchdown--safe. This is a long way from closed eyes, frantic prayer, and clutching hands.

In the airport, I picked up Blue Shoe by Anne Lamott and am loving it--much better than her other fiction, which never seemed to draw me in the way Bird by Bird and Traveling Mercies did. Just what I was looking for.

"Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right
thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up."
~Anne Lamott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home