Friday, September 17, 2004

Related to yesterday's topic:

"I now think differently about my flaws. I see how being fully human is a paradox. Growing and becoming more of a person whose life resembles the values of Jesus is essential. At the same time, my flaws are some of my greatest treasures, like grains of sand in oyster shells that must grate and irritate to become pearls. My imperfections keep my ego in check. They remind me daily of how much I need the grace of God. They help me to be more understanding and compassionate with the inadequacies of others. They also give me the opportunity to continue to grow and change. Many times my inadequacies are what give the real flavor to my life."
~Joyce Rupp, The Cup of Our Life

I can't say I'm grateful for my flaws right now. I see them as massive. A week like this, where work is crazy busy and I feel like I'm making everything up for the first time as I go is very humbling. The mistakes I make!! The time I put into figuring things out! It drives me crazy. As I look at my family's life and muse over the many rough spots that go along with the good to make us us, I usually despair over where we fall short.

This I know--love is huge. It covers all, the good and the bad, (and yes, the ugly). I believe it. I'm looking for that place where love intersects with all these flaws so I can accept them, so I'm not paralyzed, so I can read those words quoted above and say, yes, these crappy things that are hard to accept about myself have value, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home