Year 42, day 2. The other night, at a dinner with four amazing women, Beth asked me about the highlights of the last year. It was a trip to New York with Greg this past summer. We canoed in the Adirondacks. I found a book store with books to feed my soul. Thus began my ascent from a multitude of life-crippling fears. In the midst of a grief so huge I couldn't even wrap my arms around it, the loss of my job, I read these books and found solace. And found hope, faith even.
I've written about anxiety on this blog before, likening her to a lean, hungry Calista Flockhart-type woman knocking on my door every few years. Very seductive, she pulled me into the fear cycle every time--early on in big ways, later in small unending ways. I've worked my way through it, but could never find the path out of it. Now I think I am.
What I'm learning from wise people who have gone before me is this--I can change my mind about fear. Fear is about the future. Fear is about the past--remembering crappy things that have happened and letting those memories affect me now. But I can't change the future one whit by worrying about it. The past doesn't exist anymore--it's gone. So I can pray for a shift of perspective and be mindful of life as it happens right now. I know I've gone on about mindfulness before here, but this is it. This is the path. It's about healing something I thought had no cure. It's about faith in a God that is bigger than a whole world burning up with fear and anxiety. It's about the lilies of the field.
So after 41 years, I'm waking up again. It feels really really good.
I've written about anxiety on this blog before, likening her to a lean, hungry Calista Flockhart-type woman knocking on my door every few years. Very seductive, she pulled me into the fear cycle every time--early on in big ways, later in small unending ways. I've worked my way through it, but could never find the path out of it. Now I think I am.
What I'm learning from wise people who have gone before me is this--I can change my mind about fear. Fear is about the future. Fear is about the past--remembering crappy things that have happened and letting those memories affect me now. But I can't change the future one whit by worrying about it. The past doesn't exist anymore--it's gone. So I can pray for a shift of perspective and be mindful of life as it happens right now. I know I've gone on about mindfulness before here, but this is it. This is the path. It's about healing something I thought had no cure. It's about faith in a God that is bigger than a whole world burning up with fear and anxiety. It's about the lilies of the field.
So after 41 years, I'm waking up again. It feels really really good.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home