Alone, all alone
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone. ~ Maya Angelou
Dinner last night with Beth, my incredibly good friend. We ate dinner outside at Panera, walked in a city park in the twilight. Talked ceaselessly about our lives, God, the world, God, and love. Our God-language differs these days. She speaks more the language of the evangelical Christian, and I talk in Deist terms, I guess. So we spent the first hour negotiating through the language thing, which didn't bother Beth at all, but she pointed out, to my chagrin, that it was really bothering me. She was right.
I am so judgemental. Too quick to dismiss things spoken in a language I do not want to hear. I'm working on it. The hour spent getting underneath the language to all the values we share in common was worth it. And we are really not so different at all. We both love God, our families, wish good things for the world and try to raise our kids to be healthylovingkind people. Ended the night with coffee and home to sleep.
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone. ~ Maya Angelou
Dinner last night with Beth, my incredibly good friend. We ate dinner outside at Panera, walked in a city park in the twilight. Talked ceaselessly about our lives, God, the world, God, and love. Our God-language differs these days. She speaks more the language of the evangelical Christian, and I talk in Deist terms, I guess. So we spent the first hour negotiating through the language thing, which didn't bother Beth at all, but she pointed out, to my chagrin, that it was really bothering me. She was right.
I am so judgemental. Too quick to dismiss things spoken in a language I do not want to hear. I'm working on it. The hour spent getting underneath the language to all the values we share in common was worth it. And we are really not so different at all. We both love God, our families, wish good things for the world and try to raise our kids to be healthylovingkind people. Ended the night with coffee and home to sleep.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home