Tuesday, June 11, 2002

Decisions. It seems like everyone has big decisions to make.

I got a call this morning. It was from a local organization which teaches parenting skills to families in crisis. They would like me to come on board for two eight week sessions in the fall and spring. A job offer. This is my third job offer since I was laid off.

Before I went back to teach school three years ago, I worked as a trainer and mediator for a conflict resolution center. I taught conflict resolution skills to people ranging from preschool to adult. I taught parenting workshops. I mediated with famillies in crisis. I worked closely with many of the social service agencies in the county and made a lot of social worker friends. I did that for six years. It was a great job, but then my son went into first grade and I felt called to go back into teaching elementary school. Let me be clear about this--I felt called. For two years I worked at a school that had many demeaning policies toward the kids, and my co-teacher was very vicious toward me (and anyone else she didn't like). So I got my great new job last year, and you know the ending to that story. Now these social worker friends keep calling me and asking me to come back to work in Social Services. These are all part time jobs. What's a person to do?

Sunday, there was an ad in the paper to run groups for empowering women who have been in domestic violence situations. It is with an organization I support and have worked with in the past. This, too, would be perfect for me. As a matter of fact, I could do both jobs and work about 20 hrs a week. More time for family, working with people in need, money would be a lot tighter, but we'd manage. Because this latest offer is the third (prior offers last month--manage the local thrift store, be a relief director for the local mental health association), and because here I am with no visible job in sight, I wonder. Do I wait for the school corporation to possibly call me back if there is a maternity leave or someone suddenly quits (ha!) Or am I being called to something different?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home