Sigh. This little blogging community is pretty cool. Just keeps me smiling.
Well. I'm reading "Traveling Mercies" again. I found it after reading Bananie's reference to Grace Paley a while back (whoops, now my summer reading list has 4 titles). What is it with Anne LaMott? The woman can write. Superbly. How does she do it? She takes verbs and turns them into quirky little adjectives--"a beggy little prayer." She turns phrases until they are so snappy, so hip. This time I'm reading her just to follow her use of language. But then, of course, I get lost in the story of her conversion. And though I would never want to have lived her life, I'm in awe of her faith. She speaks of it so freely, so deeply, while I am definitely reticent. I'm not beating myself up about this, I just admire it in her.
But there is a season to everything, right? School is out tomorrow. Time to tend to the faith. I feel like I need to stockpile hours and hours of quiet. So that's my goal for the summer. Absorb hours and hours of quiet down into my little soul so I may draw from it in the cold winter ahead.
Who is the third who walks always beside you?
When I count, there are only you and I together
But when I look ahead up the white road
There is always another one walking beside you...--T.S. Eliot
Well. I'm reading "Traveling Mercies" again. I found it after reading Bananie's reference to Grace Paley a while back (whoops, now my summer reading list has 4 titles). What is it with Anne LaMott? The woman can write. Superbly. How does she do it? She takes verbs and turns them into quirky little adjectives--"a beggy little prayer." She turns phrases until they are so snappy, so hip. This time I'm reading her just to follow her use of language. But then, of course, I get lost in the story of her conversion. And though I would never want to have lived her life, I'm in awe of her faith. She speaks of it so freely, so deeply, while I am definitely reticent. I'm not beating myself up about this, I just admire it in her.
But there is a season to everything, right? School is out tomorrow. Time to tend to the faith. I feel like I need to stockpile hours and hours of quiet. So that's my goal for the summer. Absorb hours and hours of quiet down into my little soul so I may draw from it in the cold winter ahead.
Who is the third who walks always beside you?
When I count, there are only you and I together
But when I look ahead up the white road
There is always another one walking beside you...--T.S. Eliot


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home