45 degrees, very warm and melty outside. Spring?
Last night I went over to the church to watch the guys play indoor soccer. Really it's a bunch of Hispanic guys and a couple of Anglos (including a woman here and there). They play every week. I go sometimes because I open the gym but mostly just to get to know the Hispanic guys. So I was sitting next to Jose last night, watching. He doesn't speak much English, and I don't speak much Spanish, but I want to learn. I said to Jose, "Como se dice esto? (pointing to the ball)". He said, "ballon de soccer". I said, "Oh, ballon. Como se dice esto (pointing to the goal)" and he said, "goal". "Ah", I said, "Goal. Lo Mismo. The same. It's the same in English."
Next time a goal was scored, he looked at me and said, "Same".
"Um, no," I said. "Goal. It's goal. It is goal."
Then we smiled and shrugged and the game went on.
Last night I went over to the church to watch the guys play indoor soccer. Really it's a bunch of Hispanic guys and a couple of Anglos (including a woman here and there). They play every week. I go sometimes because I open the gym but mostly just to get to know the Hispanic guys. So I was sitting next to Jose last night, watching. He doesn't speak much English, and I don't speak much Spanish, but I want to learn. I said to Jose, "Como se dice esto? (pointing to the ball)". He said, "ballon de soccer". I said, "Oh, ballon. Como se dice esto (pointing to the goal)" and he said, "goal". "Ah", I said, "Goal. Lo Mismo. The same. It's the same in English."
Next time a goal was scored, he looked at me and said, "Same".
"Um, no," I said. "Goal. It's goal. It is goal."
Then we smiled and shrugged and the game went on.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home