Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Other than the job call, which remains a mystery, today was about beads. This was my third jewelry class in the jail. The women (3 the first week, 5 last week and today) seem to like it. It's their only time out of their cells they tell me. I went into this thinking there'd be, I don't know, some kind of deep sharing going on, but mostly we're a quiet bunch. I have no clue why they're in--I'd never ask and it doesn't come up. What does come up is the boredom, the difficulty of living twenty four hours a day with between 10 and 18 strangers, how cases move through the courts and the most popular topic, how much time they have left. These women are nonviolent offenders--they stay a few days to several months, then they move on. They're intent on making their necklaces, we're in a sunny room, and I kind of hover to answer practical jewelry questions. They're kind to me and were cracking up with the sheriff today, calling him by first name. He seems happy with the class and I like it, too. I think I'll keep it.

Oh yes, and if you have a moment, I put back up a link to Lynne's site. You might want to give her a looksee. She's awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home