Friday, November 21, 2003

"Conditions for creativity are to be puzzled; to concentrate; to accept conflict and tension; to be born everyday; to feel a sense of self."
~Erich Fromm

The beads were laid out, vial by vial, row by row. The colors rich--deep violets and frosted glass mauves, varying shades of reds and the cooler shades of the blue palette. We worked with wire which was tricky for some. But I was the cheerleader through it all, telling them how strong they are, how they could do it. The results were stunning. The eye these girls have for color!! One girl took luminescent deep red and strung it with silver-lined clears and frosted hunter green. Another, oh this other, was the delight of my day. A girl I know to be a bully (my son has been a recipient of her ire), tall and strong and athletic, with the attitude of one who has been held back in school twice--angry. She created this necklace that I can only describe as vintage. She worked with purples and combined them with just the right silver beads and a red to look like something you would find on velvet in a case in an antique jewelry store. It was exquisite. She was proud of this piece she made for herself. Later her mother would come to rally her home. I said to the mother, "Look at the eye your daughter has for color!! Look at this beautiful necklace!" Pointing to the other she had made for her sister, "And this, isn't it great?" And the mother turned to the daughter, and spoke in a voice in which I think I heard a veiled threat, "And one of these had better be for Mommy Dear." Then they left. Not one word of praise for this girl, not one exclamation of delight. Just a mother staking out property. My heart still hurts to think of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home