An update on last Friday's class meeting. (The one where the girls weren't getting along).
I worked with the kids on getting them to think about who they are and what they are about. What they stand for. How they want people to really see them. For what do they want to be remembered years from now. Then we got in a circle and talked about interpersonal problems for a long time (I declared the circle "safe". Everything stayed there.). Amazingly, the boys talked about football problems at recess for-ev-er. The last thing that happened before recess was when one girl spoke up (with lots of courage). She said, "I don't think it's fair of you guys to make fun of people like me just because we don't wear designer clothes. You know, I would wear the same kind of clothes as you but I don't have any control over it. I have to wear what my mother buys, and some people just can't afford cool clothes. I can't help it that I have to wear these clothes."
I beamed. Everyone listened. Nobody put her down for that speech. Then recess.
After recess, the circle reconvened (they were very into this.) One girl raised her hand and said quietly, "My friends and I decided at recess that we wouldn't make fun of people because of their clothes anymore." I beamed again.
Will they keep their resolve? I can't say, but I hope so. Did we at least get them to think? Definitely. Many thanks to an awesome girl who had the gumption to say what she needed to say. You go, T.
I worked with the kids on getting them to think about who they are and what they are about. What they stand for. How they want people to really see them. For what do they want to be remembered years from now. Then we got in a circle and talked about interpersonal problems for a long time (I declared the circle "safe". Everything stayed there.). Amazingly, the boys talked about football problems at recess for-ev-er. The last thing that happened before recess was when one girl spoke up (with lots of courage). She said, "I don't think it's fair of you guys to make fun of people like me just because we don't wear designer clothes. You know, I would wear the same kind of clothes as you but I don't have any control over it. I have to wear what my mother buys, and some people just can't afford cool clothes. I can't help it that I have to wear these clothes."
I beamed. Everyone listened. Nobody put her down for that speech. Then recess.
After recess, the circle reconvened (they were very into this.) One girl raised her hand and said quietly, "My friends and I decided at recess that we wouldn't make fun of people because of their clothes anymore." I beamed again.
Will they keep their resolve? I can't say, but I hope so. Did we at least get them to think? Definitely. Many thanks to an awesome girl who had the gumption to say what she needed to say. You go, T.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home