PilgrimageShelley Newby is a Quaker from Indiana who undertook a 560 mile walk for peace this fall to Washington, D.C. Her faith and conviction remained unshaken throughout the walk. She writes of facing the obstacle of understanding on the part of her family below:
My walk was born out of my commitment to a daily spiritual practice. Because of that, I felt empowered and able to face without fear the challenges of the walk, including the fears of my family, friends, and others. It was appropriate that my husband and parents questioned the validity of such a call. And when they did, I turned to God for answers. When I listened, God faithfully gave me the words to share. Though God's timing was perfect, I often had to allow the discontent to hang between us for a time until I received those words from God. But when I spoke what I had been given, they were comforted and their fears were eased. At the same time, their concerns helped me prepare in ways I might not have otherwise. God makes full use of all that we offer, all of who we are, and guides us forward in the best possible way. But we must be willing to surrender our fear and allow ourselves to feel uncomfortable for a time as we wait and listen for that guidance. In the end, my family offered their love and support without reserve.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home