Tuesday, October 18, 2005

It's a new start tonight--I go back to the jail. This time, it's parenting classes. For one week a month, I'll go in three nights in succession. The curriculum is great--a mixture of the communication lessons I've been doing for years, along with a Child Welfare League curriculum recommended by a colleague. I think we'll start where we are--think about your parenting skills, what do you know deep down that you've done well? What wisdom do you carry? What are your challenges? What did you appreciate about your parent's parenting? What have you said you would never do? What would you change if you could? And go from there. Meanwhile, bead class goes on weekly, thanks to Judi and her very able partners Sonja and Viona. I'm nervous--a lot of the things I'm teaching tonight are new territory--routines and discipline--very ground level stuff, but I'm also excited and happy to be back with the women.

Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, be fortified by it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it.
~ Hermann Hesse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home