Sunday, December 07, 2003

Candle

Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.
~Elizabeth Stone

My teenaged daughter and I had an argument yesterday. It was sudden, explosive, prolonged, and devastating to me. I carried it around with me for hours, resentful, angry, questioning. I was so far off balance, I couldn't figure out how to gather myself back together. I haven't figured out yet what it meant to her. But here's what happened. In the midst of all this, she and I went to help run a youth group babysitting night at church for young parents. As I seethed, trying to get a hold of my emotions, I watched her carry a little girl around with her all night. She held markers for her while she colored, fixed her dinner plate, held her on her lap while they ate. It was the sweetest thing I've seen lately. She brought the little girl to me when she needed help. By this time, my heart had melted. We worked with the little girl, then went home to watch a movie together. Hope, rekindled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home