I live for these moments. Today I taught geography. This is very ordinary. Most days so far have been very ordinary, and frankly, maybe a little boring. It's all about procedures, the first week of school, and establishing routines, etc. And the curriculum isn't meaty. Right now, it's about preparing for standardized tests which is review, review, review. Creativity is low, and I was getting worried about this.
Then, today, we looked at maps in the textbook. A sample map for understanding exactly what political maps are about. A map of Southeast Asia--India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Afghanistan. And the class came to life, as we spoke of recent conflicts and how this map conveyed this to us by showing us disputed boundaries.
Then on to a map of the westward expansion of Europeans in the 1800's across North America. Then I spoke of my trip out west and the Indians I've met and the hands went up and questions were asked, stories were told and we all engaged in historical conversation. And it happened so fast and ended so soon (recess, alas) and some stayed back from recess to tell me their stories.
Connection.
Then, today, we looked at maps in the textbook. A sample map for understanding exactly what political maps are about. A map of Southeast Asia--India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Afghanistan. And the class came to life, as we spoke of recent conflicts and how this map conveyed this to us by showing us disputed boundaries.
Then on to a map of the westward expansion of Europeans in the 1800's across North America. Then I spoke of my trip out west and the Indians I've met and the hands went up and questions were asked, stories were told and we all engaged in historical conversation. And it happened so fast and ended so soon (recess, alas) and some stayed back from recess to tell me their stories.
Connection.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home