Saturday, July 24, 2004

I have a lot of gratitude for a job which allows me to take a vacation three months after starting.

This week was house week.  Painted our bedroom a deep steel blue.  Uncovered a lovely wood floor.  Washed windows, organized toys, decluttered.  There is more to do. 

Now I'm at my desk; the rest of the summer stretches out before me.  This week sunny and 70's and 80's.  I'll work and travel a lot in the next two months.  My daughter has given me a list of movies I "have to" see.  My son, meanwhile, is completely living in the moment.  Playing all day long with his best bud, he is happy to hang out at home.  In the old teacher days, I dreaded summer.  What would I do with myself?  (What was wrong with my head?)  Now I'm loving time off.

Top five vacation moments:

1.  a rare moment when all four of us took an evening walk on the beach together
2.  coming upon a skate, washed up on shore for a moment, and studying its amazing living body, as it raised and lowered its "wings" before washing back into the ocean. 
3.  cooking fresh ocean scallops or tuna or shrimp in loads of garlic, butter and wine
4.  hiking up to the ridge in Shenandoah National Park and looking out over miles of mountains and valleys in Virginia
5.  uncovering that beautiful unscarred wood floor under the hideous brown 80's carpeting

Life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home