Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Twenty one.

Celebrating.

In the county jail, as far as I can see, there are no trappings of Christmas. I had this great idea of getting together with the women's Bible study ladies (the only other program for the women) and putting together a Christmas service, but the Sheriff said a lot of groups will be in this week doing that. He did not invite me to come in, too. So I had this idea.

First, the women are always asking for crosses because it is the only piece of jewelry they can wear in jail. I've resisted it; it seemed like it might cause problems, but I've changed my mind. Tomorrow I will finally bring crosses for jewelry class and they will leave wearing a new necklace. (Usually the necklaces go into their personal property, never to be seen again until the women are released.) Next, I'm going to run around and find Christmas decorations, perhaps a fiber optic tree, some lights, a creche, and some wrapping paper. I'll go early to decorate the room. Voila, a sight for sore eyes, some Christmas magic. Finally, I'm not allowed to give them gifts, but I'll go out today and find a different beautiful card for each woman.

This is tiny, this hour and a half of Christmas we'll have tomorrow. But I think they'll like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home